What preventative treatments can I expect?
- Diet & Lifestyle Advice – As part of your dental assessment, the dental team will discuss your diet and lifestyle. We encourage a positive long-term approach to your oral health. Our friendly team will assess the risk of preventable complications such as tooth surface loss due to diet or sleep disruptions and long term gum disease associated with smoking.
- Oral Health Advice – We will carefully assess your gums to check for any early signs of gum disease. We will give oral health advice relating to brushing and hygiene to help prevent gingivitis and premature tooth loss.
- Dental X-rays – We use digital x-rays for detecting signs of decay that the dentist cannot see with the naked eye. X-rays are also useful in checking that the supporting structures around your teeth are also healthy.
- Fluoride Varnish – Teeth that may be susceptible to caries (decay) can be treated with highly concentrated varnish, which will help to remineralise enamel. Fluoride varnish is particularly useful for preventing decay in hard-to-reach areas and younger children who do not brush efficiently.
- Fissure Sealants – Fissure sealants are used to fill the tiny crevices between tooth cusps. These are commonly used on children’s teeth, whereby tooth enamel may not have had enough fluoride exposure to protect the permanent teeth from harmful bacteria.